Restrictions to job alternation compensation

You are not entitled to a job alternation compensation for a period in which you are

  • receiving pay from the employer that is a party to the job alternation leave
  • in military or non-military service
  • in full-time employment lasting more than two weeks with another employer
  • you are engaged in full-time business activities
  • you are receiving benefits under the Act on Unemployment Security
  • you are receiving a sickness, maternity, paternity, parental or special care allowance under the Health Insurance Act, or you have been granted a leave due to pregnancy, childbirth or the care of a child
Job alternation compensation is not paid for a period during the alternation agreement for which no substitute has been hired. Job alternation compensation is paid according to the original plan, however, if the substitute's employment ends in the middle of the leave for some reason, and the TE Office cannot provide another substitute.

While you are receiving job alternation compensation, you are not entitled to a study grant.

If you have previously been on job alternation leave, you can take a new job alternation leave after you have been employed for at least five years (60 full calendar months) after the end of the previous alternation leave.

Job alternation compensation and social benefits

Some statutory benefits that you may receive during your job alternation leave, such as a child home care allowance from Kela, reduce the amount of your job alternation compensation.

Child home care allowance is a family benefit that is usually deducted from the allowance of the recipient of job alternation compensation. Child home care allowance is not deducted if the allowance is paid to your partner who cares for a child full-time at home and would consequently not be eligible for an unemployment benefit. If your partner is unemployed and the child home care allowance is paid to your partner, it will be deducted from your partner’s unemployment allowance.

Your job alternation compensation is not reduced by a housing allowance, social assistance, family caregiver support, child benefit or survivors’ pension.

You must inform the unemployment fund is you have received or applied for a social benefit.

This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to improve our website and provide more personalised services to you.


To make this site work properly, we sometimes place small data files called cookies on your device. Most big websites do this too.

1. What are cookies?

A cookie is a small text file that a website saves on your computer or mobile device when you visit the site. It enables the website to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences) over a period of time, so you don’t have to keep re-entering them whenever you come back to the site or browse from one page to another.

2. How do we use cookies?

A number of our pages use cookies to remember your actions and preferences (such as login, language, font size and other display preferences.)

Also, some videos embedded in our pages use a cookie to anonymously gather statistics on how you got there and what videos you visited.

Enabling these cookies is not strictly necessary for the website to work but it will provide you with a better browsing experience. You can delete or block these cookies, but if you do that some features of this site may not work as intended.

The cookie-related information is not used to identify you personally and the pattern data is fully under our control. These cookies are not used for any purpose other than those described here.

3. How to control cookies

You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.